Last modified: 2011-01-22 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: la zarza de pumareda | crown: royal (closed) | blackberry bush | bicolor: vertical (purple-white) | tower (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of La Zarza de Pumareda (157 inhabitants in 2009; 2,830 ha) is located in the north-west of the Salamanca Province, 100 km from the provincial capital.
La Zarza de Pumareda was founded, according to some sources, between 1157 and 1188, during the reign of King of Leon Ferdinand II, in an area hitherto used as a desert, buffer territory between the Christian and Moorish armies. Known as "Tierre de Nadie" (Land of Nearly Nothing), the area was resettled by colons from Galicia, Cantabria, and, mostly, Asturias. The Asturian founders of La Zarza de Pumareda probably named the new village for the resources of their original land, blackberry bushes ("zarzamora" / "zarza") and apple orchards ("pomarada" subsequently transformed to "pumareda").
Source: José Alburquerque Rengel
Ivan Sache, 24 Nov 2010
The flag and arms of La Zarza de Pumareda are prescribed by a Decree adopted on 24 September 2007 by the Municipal Council, signed on 3 October 2007 by the Mayor, and published on 17 October 2007 in the official gazette of Castile and Leon, No. 202, pp. 19,612-19,613. The symbols are described as follows:
Square flag with proportions 1:1; Vertically divided purple-white (1:3) by a clavate border. In the central blue stripe, centered, a tower argent and a blackberry bush proper.
Municipal coat of arms
Per fess 1. Azure a three-arched bridge or masoned sable, 2. Argent a blackberry bush leaved and fructed proper. The shield surmounted by the Royal Spanish crown.
The flag shown on the municipal website (including photos of its presentation and hoisting on the town hall) does not fully match the prescribed flag. It is in proportion 2:3 and does not have any blue stripe. Note that the blue stripe does not fit the overall description of the flag.
The coat of arms shown on the municipal website is also different, although in a lesser extent than the flag, from the prescribed coat of arms. It is not divided per fess but "Argent a blackberry... a chief azure a bridge...."
The coat of arms was designed by Luis Hernández Olivera , University of Salamanca. The blackberry bush ("zarza") is canting for the name of the municipality. The bridge is the Robledo bridge, aka the Greater Bridge or St. Dominic Bridge, the main monument of the municipality.
Ivan Sache, 24 Nov 2010