Last modified: 2010-10-29 by rick wyatt
Keywords: superior | arizona | pinal county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 28 July 2006
Based on a photo at: www.superior-arizona.com/
Light blue flag with town seal in full colours in the center of it. Ratio seems to be 2:3.
Valentin Poposki, 27 July 2006
The "Mayor and Council page" can be directly accessed and saved for the posterity as:
The superior left corner of the pages of the town website shows a red and white version of the seal.
Some historical elements on Superior (from the town website):
In 1875, the Silver King mine bolstered the development of the town of Pinal. Hundreds of miners gathered there, as well as famous Western characters such as Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. In 1888, ore depletion caused the abandonment of the mine and the town. In 1902, George Lobb, Sr., a native of England, sold his Golden Eagle Group (a silver mine) to Lake Superior and Arizona Mining Company (LS&A). Lobb remained in the area and laid out the town site, naming it Superior after the LS&A. The Superior post office was established in December, 1902. Robert T. Jones was one of Superiorís first postmasters and went on to become governor of Arizona. William Boyce Thompson (1869-1930), a Montana native, purchased the rights to the Silver Queen mine and renamed it the Magma Copper Company in 1910. Thompson then purchased the LS&A property and added it to his Magma holdings. A mining engineer, financier, patriot, and extraordinary philanthropist, Boyce Thompson was a self-made millionaire who used his money to accomplish great things. He established the Boyce Thompson Arboretum to study plants and to help educate the public.Much more on him can be read on the Boyce Thompson Institute (Cornell University, Ithaca, New York) website (bti.cornell.edu/page.php?id=111)
The small seal in the website header bears a crossed pick and shovel; but the flag seal in the photograph just has a diagonal stick (clearly visible at
Eugene Ipavec, 28 July 2006